Fillet of veal in batter is a classic dish of French cuisine, also known as “Filet de Boeuf en Croûte”. It is a refined dish often served on special occasions such as holidays or dinner parties. Find out how to make a fillet in batter 100% on the grill in the recipe below!!!
- 500 g veal fillet
- 1 bunch leeks
- 200 g curd
- 100 g grated parmesan
- 1 package puff pastry
- 100 g raw ham
- 1 egg
- Helvetic Barbeque Salt n Pepper Rub
- Olive oil
- Preheat the grill / smoker to 200 degrees Celsius indirect heat.
- Wash the leek and cut into thin rings. Heat a little olive oil in a cast iron pan and sauté the leeks in it for about 5 minutes. Season with Helvetic Barbeque Salt n Pepper Rub and set aside.
- Mix the curd with the grated Parmesan and also season with Helvetic Barbeque Salt n Pepper Rub.
- Wash the veal fillet, pat dry and season with Helvetic Barbeque Salt n Pepper Rub. Sauté in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil on all sides.
- Roll out the puff pastry, cover with raw ham, the leeks and spread the ricotta-parmesan mixture on top. Place the veal fillet in the center on top.
- Wrap the puff pastry around the veal fillet and seal well. Beat the egg and brush the puff pastry with it.
- Place the veal fillet in the batter on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated grill at 200 degrees Celsius indirect heat for about 30 minutes, until the batter is golden brown and the meat has reached a core temperature of 56 (pink) or 60 (nicely done) degrees Celsius.
- Remove the veal fillet from the grill and cut into slices. Serve with side dishes such as asparagus wrapped in bacon or salad.